Sunday, September 28, 2008

European Day of Languages

Schools and workplaces in over 40 countries celebrated European Day of Languages yesterday. The intiative was set up in 2001 in order to create an awareness for languages and language skills.
I had another stint on the radio. Judy Theobold invited me onto her show to talk about languages and to teach her some useful phrases in French and German, and I also pre-recorded an interview with Lincs FM.
The schools we visit all received posters, stickers and balloons, and we were also involved in the Languages for lunch sessions organised by the Regional Language Network in the East Midlands.
I have noticed a definite increase in awareness of EDL over the last 2 years, and I hope this is spreading awareness and interest in languages and language learning. I certainly had a great discussion with the year 5/6 group I was with on Friday morning about why languages are useful to us.

No comments: