Thursday, August 24, 2006

The future of languages

It seems that the future of languages is rather doomed. According to this article less students are taking up languages at GCSE level. This was fairly inevitable, given that languages are no longer compulsory at KS4. This article gives a comprehensive view of the current language situation.
I wonder if the introduction of languages at primary level will make a difference. I would like to think so. In my experience, younger pupils are much more enthusiastic about language learning and interested in different cultures and countries. Hopefully this will lead to more students wanting to study languages to a higher level.
People are realising the importance of language learning, but not until they are older and, dare I say it, more mature. I have many requests from adults for private tuition, and my September evening classes are almost full. This indicates to me that languages are still very much alive and kicking, and that people are still interested in learning them.

No comments: